Saturday, March 17, 2012

The process of Expansion: PHOTOS

I wanted to do a post specific to the process and progression of my results with Temporary Tissue Expanders. These devices were placed under my chest muscles at the time of my mastectomy. They have a thick outer shell and a port in which the surgeon would add saline, a little at a time, to stretch the muscle enough to form a pocket for a permanent breast implant. You can read more about them here. I'm going to warn you now that the pictures below are graphic.


After mastectomy (Total 250cc's per side):

This photo was taken about 4 weeks after my mastectomy. My plastic surgeon has placed 250cc's of saline in each expander immediately following my mastectomy, so I wasn't totally flat.

1st Expansion, 90cc's each side (Total 340cc's per side):
                                                                         Before

                                                                   Immediately After
(The surgeon uses a magnet to locate the port that allows addition of saline. He or she literally marks an "X" for the spot and uses a syringe to add the fluid. Although my skin is numb, my muscle isn't so I felt the prick of the needle. After the fluid was added, I would feel pressure. I felt like I had an iron-clad sports bra on that was 4 sizes too small. The pressure got worse towards the end of the expansion process.)

                                                                              After

3nd Expansion, 90cc's each side (Total 520cc's per side):

                                                                      Halfway done!

Over-expanded, (Total 790cc's per side):
My final implant size with be 750cc silicone. I am over-expanded to 790cc's per side. They do this to "over-stretch" the chest muscle and allow for a better pocket for the implant. It will create a more natural breast. You can see my drain scars. I'm numb all the way to there.
The "caves" under my arms are evident in this picture. That was one thing I was not expecting after mastectomy. This will be corrected some at the time of implant exchange. If it's not to my liking, I can have a revision to smooth out my sides a little more.
The expanders are often uneven. They are not devices intended for aesthetic beauty. They are intended to stretch. They are hard, lumpy, misshapen, and uneven. They are so hard, they do not move at all.

But under a cami, they look ok. I usually wear another shirt over my cami. I look like I have a super duper miracle bra on, but it passes.

My final implants will look like natural breasts and they will feel like natural breasts. They will have a more natural slope and not stand at attention like the expanders. They will appear smaller than the expanders but my surgeon says I will have a nice, full C-cup when completed.

2 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. AnonymousJune 16, 2012

    going through this process this summer. thanks for helping me anticipate what to expect. i do not think i will enjoy the exapanders one bit..but knowing you and others have gone through it helps.

    ReplyDelete