Friday, August 12, 2011

Inspiration & Reality

After my night of crying this week, I felt better. I can release that stress, worry, and anxiety for a bit and get on with life.

We're super busy at work, so that's a huge help right off the bat. My girls are spending the week with my dad and I miss them terribly. I have gotten to spend time with just the boys this week, though. That's been awesome.

Yesterday, I spent some time with my friend Cindy, the founder of Cindy's Hope Chest. This woman is another angel God has placed upon this earth. Her non-profit supports local breast cancer patients, and not in the typical way that most breast cancer organizations do. She personally spends time with women who are facing a journey of their own. Her organization helps with the things women on this journey really need like light housework, grocery shopping, treatment support, love, and hugs. Not that the other non-profits aren't great, this is just the first group I've ever seen get "personal" with their cause. I think there should be more of this! :)

Cindy was diagnosed with Stage 3 Breast Cancer in 2008. She was led to begin this wonderful organization for women and it had to be God's calling for her. She is an inspiration for me, no doubt. I contacted her before I was even diagnosed through word of mouth within my community. Every time I have called or stopped by, she has dropped everything she was doing and gave me her full attention. It's so wonderful to have her in my corner.

Although we hadn't met before this summer, we both went through chemo in 2008. She completely understood when I told her how much I hated being "identified" as a cancer patient when I lost my hair. I completely understood her when she shared that she was one of the youngest patients in the chemo-infusion lounge and most of the time, the only woman. That's not something you can truly share just have with anyone. Needless to say, it was nice to sit in the pink room with her yesterday and tell her all about my crying episode. Talk about true bonds and inspiration!

Today, I felt like myself. Started the day off great....had some coffee & took lunch with Ward. Then, reality hits. Out of no where, I get a phone call from the Plastic Surgeon's office to schedule my pre-op a month ahead of surgery. Simple enough, right? We schedule for October 5th at 10am. The nurse tells me that she will call the breast surgeon and confer with her so that both surgeons can agree on a date.

We hang up and I start crying, which immediately pissed me off. I hate when my emotions get the best of me. It is so very weird. I'll be just fine through my day and then BAM! Reality of this surgery...this cancer...comes back around to say "Hello!".

That wasn't even the kicker. My Breast Surgeon's office calls me and the lady on the phone says that although so-and-so is going to confirm all this with my insurance, I need to be aware that I will have to pay what insurance doesn't before surgery. It's their new policy. That was pretty unexpected, but having had some time to think about it, I'm just glad I'm finding out about it now and not in October. So if insurance pays 80%, I'm sitting here wondering what my 20% of his surgery fee will be. I totally hate math. LOL!

Hopefully, the ladies in these offices can sort out all these details soon and I can get back to not thinking about all this  for a bit.






No comments:

Post a Comment